Directors and Management
DIRECTORS AND OFFICERS OF FP NEWSPAPERS INC.
Below are listed each of the directors and executive officers of of FP Newspapers Inc. and FPCN General Partner Inc. ("FPGP"), the managing general partner of FP Canadian Newspapers Limited Partnership ("FPLP").
- Ronald N. Stern - Vancouver, British Columbia
Chairman of the Board and Director
- Chairman of FPLP from November 2001 to present. President of Stern Partners inc., a management services company, providing services to related companies involved in paper production, real estate, wholesale distribution, pre-press graphics and apparel manufacturing, from September, 1997 to present. President of Alberta Newsprint Company from August 1989 to present.
- G. Stephen Dembroski(1) - Toronto, Ontario
- President of Indigenous Inc., and former Managing Director, Investment Banking, TD Securities Inc. from 1997 to May 2002.
- Daniel Koshowski - Winnipeg, Manitoba
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER, FPI, VICE PRESIDENT, FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION , FPLP
- Director of Finance of the Winnipeg Free Press from January 2000 to November 2001. Controller of the Winnipeg Free Press from February 1995 to January 2000.
- Phil de Montmollin(1) - Holmes Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
- Retired Newspaper Executive, formerly President of Currow & de Montmollin, Inc., a newspaper management consulting company, from 1995 to 2003. Worked for 32 years with the Newspaper Division of Knight Ridder, Inc., including as President of the Miami Herald.
- Harvey Secter(1) - Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Chancellor of the University of Manitoba from January 1, 2010 to present. Previously a professor at the University of Manitoba and until June 30, 2008, the Dean of the Faculty of Law at the University of Manitoba. From 1995 to present, President of Resolution Processes Inc., a mediation and arbitration services company.
- Robert Silver(1) - Winnipeg, Manitoba
- President of Western Glove Works Ltd., an apparel manufacturer, from 1981 to present.
(1) Member of the audit committee.
Senior Management of the Business
The following individuals are employed as the senior management of the Business:
Bob Cox, Publisher of the Winnipeg Free Press, joined the Winnipeg Free Press in May 2005. Mr. Cox has more than 20 years experience in the newspaper industry including the last five years at the Globe and Mail where he held various editorial positions. Prior to the Globe and Mail, Mr. Cox was City Editor of the Edmonton Journal from 1997 to 2000. Mr. Cox has also worked at the Canadian Press and at the Winnipeg Free Press where he was a Reporter from 1984 to 1987.
Laurie Finley, Vice President of Sales of the Winnipeg Free Press, has been with the Winnipeg Free Press since June 1993. During his career with the Winnipeg Free Press, he has held the positions of Special Products Manager, Retail Advertising Sales Manager and Director of Advertising. Currently, as Vice President of Sales, Mr. Finley is responsible for all advertising and associated revenues for the Winnipeg Free Press and Canstar Weekly group. Prior to joining the newspaper, Mr. Finley spent 12 years with the Xerox Corporation in sales management roles, followed by four years as General Manager of a commercial printing company.
Paul Samyn, Editor of the Winnipeg Free Press: Paul Samyn has been part of the Free Press newsroom for a quarter century, working his way up after starting as a rookie reporter in 1988. And if you count the time he spent delivering the newspaper as a boy growing up in St. James, his connection to the Free Press goes back even further. As a reporter, Paul wrote for every section of the paper, covered elections, wars overseas and the funerals of a royal princess and a prime minister. The graduate of the University of Winnipeg and Red River College helped lead the Free Press’s political coverage for a decade as its Ottawa bureau chief before being named city editor in 2007. Paul was appointed to the Editor’s office in the summer of 2012.
Daniel Koshowski, Vice President, Finance and Administration of FPLP, joined the Winnipeg Free Press in 1995 as Controller and was appointed Director of Finance in January 2000 and Vice President, Finance and Administration in November 2001. Prior to joining the Winnipeg Free Press, Mr. Koshowski spent nine years with KPMG LLP. Mr. Koshowski is a Chartered Accountant and has a B. Comm. (Hon.) from the University of Manitoba.
Dave Brolhorst, Vice President of Operations of the Winnipeg Free Press, joined the Winnipeg Free Press in February 2009. Mr. Brolhorst has more than 37 years experience in the newspaper industry including the last 12 years at the Kansas City Star in Kansas City, Missouri where he was Pressroom Manager, Director of Pressroom Operations and Director of Production. Prior to the Kansas City Star, Mr. Brolhorst was Production Manager of the Lincoln Journal Star in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Dian Trinkaus, Director Human Resources, joined the Winnipeg Free Press in March 2004 after more than 15 years experience working in unionized manufacturing sectors. Ms.Trinkaus specializes in the field of labour relations. Dian holds a B.A. (hon.) and Certificate in Human Resources Management from the University of Manitoba.
Sandra Kukreja, Vice President, Digital Media of the Winnipeg Free Press, joined the Winnipeg Free Press in August 2007 as Director of National Sales and was appointed to her current position in December 2010. Miss Kukreja has over 20 years experience working in media, primarily newspapers. Prior to joining the Winnipeg Free Press and moving to Canada, she worked in London, England at Mirror Group Newspapers, The Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, London Weekend Television and IPC Magazines.
James O’Connor, Managing Editor of the Brandon Sun, joined the Brandon Sun in September 2004. He attended John Abbott College in Montreal and Ryerson Polytechnical Institute in Toronto. He has a solid background in the newspaper business with previous experience as Photo Editor at the Winnipeg Sun and Managing Editor for the Transcontinental Media group of community newspapers in Winnipeg. Mr. O’Connor reports to the Publisher of the Brandon Sun.
Eric Lawson, Publisher of the Brandon Sun, joined Brandon’s daily newspaper in 2011. Mr. Lawson brings twenty eight years of newspapers experience to the Brandon Sun, and served as publisher and regional manager of Brunswick News Inc., responsible for the Moncton Times and Transcript and a number of other publications in New Brunswick.
Glen Parker, Sales and Marketing Director of the Brandon Sun, joined the Brandon Sun in 2003 following an extensive career in the finance and automotive industries. Mr. Parker is responsible for the advertising sales department and all external marketing of the Brandon Sun brand. He reports to the Brandon Sun’s publisher.
Jonathan Kirkup, Controller of the Brandon Sun, joined the company in 2011. Prior to joining the Brandon Sun, Mr. Kirkup was in public practice with the accounting firm Meyers Norris Penny in Brandon. He is a Chartered Accountant and in his position reports to the Brandon Sun’s publisher.
Glenn Buffie, Publisher of The Carillon and General Manager of Derksen Printers - Glenn joined the weekly newspaper on May 16, 2011. He has spent his entire 33 year career in the printing and publishing business starting in production and moving on to sales, marketing and management positions most recently as Plant and Distribution Manager at Naylor Publications in Winnipeg, and previous to that was with such notables as Red River College and Xerox.